Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A02 Designer Investigation pt. 1 - Adolf Loos

I didn't discover Aldolf Loos. I was more, pointed in his direction, but I'm glad I was introduced to his work. Immediately I knew I would appreciate his work and philosophy. I am a really big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright. What I discovered in Loos are many of the same qualities as Lloyd Wright. I also noticed some of the same ideas and similar styles. It didn't surprise me then to find out Loos appreciated the work of Louis Sullivan, the Architect with whom Lloyd Wright apprenticed. Adolf Loos was also a staunch critic of excessive ornamentation and published a paper titled Ornament and Crime which was an attack on the popular styles of the Vienna Secession.

Born in Bruenn, Moravia in 1870 Adolf Loos was the son of a stone mason. Loos studied at technical school in Liberec, Czech Republic and in Dresden. In 1893 he came to the United States to visit the Colombian Exposition in Chicago. It was here that he was first introduced to the work and writing of Louis Sullivan. After leaving the United States Adolf Loos moved to Vienna and found work as an interior designer.

In 1908 he published Ornament and Crime. In the essay Loos explained his dislike of excessive ornamentation and felt it was a crime to have builders waste their time on the ornamentation that will quickly become obsolete.

When looking at Adolf Loos' work there are several designs that I really like:
http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/americanbar/index.html

The Karntner Bar or American Bar in Vienna. I can really see similarities in this building with the building of Frank Lloyd Wright. Notice the clean unadorned lines and then compare it to
Frank Lloyd Wright:
http://www.wright-house.com/frank-lloyd-wright/

Adolf Loos' American Bar


Frank Lloyd Wright's Unity Temple











Another one of Adolf Loos Projects I liked is called the Villa Mueller:
http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/villamueller/index.htm

This house drew me in because of the clean exterior and reminded me of the works of Richard Meier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Meier

Adolf Loos' Villa Mueller
Richard Meier's Rachofsky House














You can see the influence Adolf Loos has had in Meier and other modern architect's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment