Saturday, April 9, 2011

Found Patterns J02

For journal 2 we were supposed to collect patterns, either man made or natural and post our 10 favorites along with a brief description of each. The following are my 10 favorites.

1. Moire Pattern - Wednesday, April 6th - At work

I chose this pattern because it is always changing. A  Moire Pattern occurs when two competing patterns overlap. The result is an ever changing pattern of shapes. The above images are all the same photo but, shown at different distances. Notice how the pattern changes as the image is zoomed in and out.
2. Pavement made by man, Pattern made by nature. Wednesday, April 6th

What drew me to this pattern was how random the pattern was. Also, as stated in the title, I thought it was ironic that even though this is a man made object the pattern is technically made by nature. Through years of freezing, thawing, heat and pressure this pattern emerged.
 


3. Ivy. Saturday April 9th

I found this pattern while walking the dogs. The first thing that drew me to it was just how beautiful the natural pattern was. Once I compared it to the previous pattern I was kind of amazed how similar they looked.


4. Pine Branch. Thursday, April 7th - Back yard

I specifically looked for this image. I love the mathematical beauty of the pattern found in the needles of a pine branch or a sunflower. It may look random at first but if you look close enough you will see that nature had carefully calculated this pattern.


5. Snail Shell. Saturday, April 9th

I like the pattern in the shell because it is another example of the golden ratio. Like the image prior it has a systematic beauty in it. What drew me to this particular object was the perfect spiral and how precise it is.



6. Pine Cone. Saturday, April 9th

We seem to borrow a lot of ideas from nature and I think this pattern is a perfect example of that. The scales of the cone perfectly overlap one another to form a protective barrier. The shingles on a roof provide a similar pattern and similar protection.



7. Metal Plate. Friday, April 8th 

I found this while out walking. I like the pattern because when I look at it, it's almost an optical illusion. The shapes are actually diamonds and this photo was taken straight on but, I think it gives an illusion of looking at it from an angle and the shapes being square.



8. Storm Drain. Friday, April 8th

Again found this while walking. I just like the simplicity of the pattern.



9. Frank Lloyd Wright Stained Glass. Wednesday, April 6th

I like the patterns in Frank Lloyd Wright's stained glass designs. They appear as if they should be symmetrical but have slight variations so as to be asymmetrical. The subjects he chooses are usually objects found in nature like plants or flowers but he designs them in specific geometric shapes. I think the lack of symmetry is meant to reflect natures lack of symmetry but at the same time the geometric shapes show how calculated nature can be. 



10. Concrete Pattern. Saturday, April 9th

I like this pattern because of the juxtaposition of the soft flowing swirls on the solid concrete.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment